Cookies

We use essential cookies to make our site work. We'd also like to set analytics cookies that help us make improvements by measuring how you use the site. These will be set only if you accept.

For more detailed information about the cookies we use, see our cookies page.

Essential Cookies

Essential cookies enable core functionality such as security, network management, and accessibility. For example, the selections you make here about which cookies to accept are stored in a cookie.

You may disable these by changing your browser settings, but this may affect how the website functions.

Analytics Cookies

We'd like to set Google Analytics cookies to help us improve our website by collecting and reporting information on how you use it. The cookies collect information in a way that does not directly identify you.

Third Party Cookies

Third party cookies are ones planted by other websites while using this site. This may occur (for example) where a Twitter or Facebook feed is embedded with a page. Selecting to turn these off will hide such content.

Skip to main content

Join us

Joining the Choir

Why join a choir?

“Everybody has a voice and everybody can sing. It’s a brilliant way of just giving yourself some time. Simply tune out the rest of the world and enjoy the physical sensation of breathing in and creating a note with your body.”– Oliver Rundell, Opera North Chorus Master.

The Choir is always ready to welcome new members – in any voice range, soprano, alto, tenor, or bass. There is no audition required.

Rehearsals

We meet for rehearsal every Monday evening during school terms, from 7.15pm to 9.15pm, at St Peter’s Junior School in Ruddington, NG11 6GB. We start each September, and finish sometime after Easter, depending on the concert schedule.

The choir membership subscription is £50 per term. Therefore, for the two terms we sing, the cost will be £100. We offer a discounted membership at £90 for a couple per term. New members can try out the choir for a few weeks before deciding to join and don’t have to pay until then. Reductions are available for full-time students.

ANY QUESTIONS?

Do I need to be able to read music if I join the choir?  No, expert guidance from our brilliant Musical Director at regular rehearsals will enable you to learn the notes to sing.

Do I need to be auditioned before joining?  No. Everyone is welcome to join the choir. The choir is made up of 4 sections, soprano, alto, tenor, and bass so whatever your vocal range you will be welcome.

Will I be committed to attending rehearsals every week? Rehearsals are arranged prior to each concert on Monday evenings. It is best to attend each one if you can though it is fully understood this may not always be possible. There are breaks for school half terms, and national holidays, no rehearsals take place during the summer.

If I am uncertain that joining is for me, do I have to pay a membership fee before I can participate?  You can attend a few sessions at no cost so you can see if you would like to continue.

Do you hold public concerts?  Yes, there are two a year. Other than rehearsals there are also other opportunities to participate in singing during the year.

I feel a little nervous about the thought of performing in public. It has been shown that singing in a choir boosts self-confidence and self-esteem.

Does the choir organise any non-singing activities?  Yes, during the year there are various social events including such things as visits, and parties. Singing together and social activities help to build personal connections and feelings of togetherness.

The choir in action.

Click a link to hear some short extracts from previous concerts.

The Nelson Mass by Haydn.

The King Will Rejoice (A movement from Handel's Coronation Anthems from RDCS Summer Concert 2023)